PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Defence: Public ignorance, the media, and cutbacks
Old 27th Jan 2007, 12:17
WE Branch Fanatic

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Jacko that's what they said 25 years ago.........then the Argies invaded.

The new carriers (and their air groups) will allow the UK to influence things as never before. Being able to contribute a carrier group with aircraft to any coalition operation (whether it is the US or others) will give us far more influence than just support assets. Why do you think that France, Italy and Spain all feel it important to have carriers? The ability to not depend completely on others? The lessons of 1982 perhaps? The fact that they make your Navy able to operate weapons and sensors at greater ranges? The fact they you can then use your forces (land and air as well as naval) more effectively?

CVF is a keystone of UK defence policy. The entire planned force structure of all three services depends at least in part on them. The entire RN fleet would need redesign without them!

Your mention of Sierra Leone shows your bias. What would land based aircraft (Ascension based?) actually have achieved? Could they have put troops ashore? Supported them with helicopters? Provided medical support? Provided gunfire support (ie medium/large calibre guns, not aircraft cannon) if needed?

Then you ignore the issue of logistics. A detachment of x aircraft ashore somewhere will need logistics, with supplies of fuel, spares, ammunition, food, etc. How does that get there?

Didn't you once suggest that "all Army and land based RN units" should be moved to old airfields to keep them open? Yes, let's have massive disruption and expense to keep open airfields we don't need, for aircraft we haven't got, thousands of miles away from likely theatres. This alone suggests you're not the expert on defence you pretend to be.........

BHR

The same can be said for you. On the Sea Jet (page ninety something) thread you questioned the need for naval forces and suggested a comparison with Germany and Japan, when I said I though France, Italy and Spain were better examples. You replied that you had picked Germany and Japan on purpose (didn't say why though) and asked me to say what I knew of the three nations I mentioned and their Navies, and future plans. You also asked me to do the same for Germany and Japan. I did, but further posts from you on the same thread ignored what I said. I wonder why?

You also wrote that you considered Ultimate Farce as giving a good insight into the SAS etc, but this may have been satire.....

Your views should be taken with an unhealthily large amount of salt.

Last edited by WE Branch Fanatic; 27th Jan 2007 at 21:12.