PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AS 350 B & B2 Tail rotor damage help NEEDED...
Old 27th Jan 2007, 12:09
Flyting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks

Thanks every one for the initial help....

Please don't think that I'm on a witch hunt and putting all the blame on the engineers. I'm one of the pilots that fly both these machines, and am willing to take the blame for anything I've done to create the problem. My main objective is to find out how this has happened and to prevent it from happening in the future, and to warn others of my experiences.
Process of illimination...
  1. No chance of the block being left in as we don't use them. The machines stay in hangars and if left out side, will only be for a while with the pilots near by in case of any storms activity or gusting winds.
  2. No chance of FOD. For FOD to occur at the roots/hub of the tail rotor without causing any damae to the rest of the rotors, on both machines, is lottery odds. Both areas where the heli's operate from are clear of debri. The TLC it lacks is dust/sand that is picked up. Majority of landings are on grass pads or openings. Now and again a dirt lading is unavoidable
  3. No chance of full travel impact. Like Head Turner said: "I have flown on the Safari Rally which requires full pedal to be used for 60-70% of the time and have never had the problems that your photos show." I have never used full travel in the B2 (fully loaded) or the B with limited load. Both machines work with very light loads. Even if full travel is used, there is no possible way for anything to touch anything like shown in the pics. We tried on numerous other machines.
  4. As for the rigging, we are putting the machine back together this week end and will be commensing the initial test runs on Monday morning. Once it's all back together, we'll be able to push/pull and try and figure out how and where... According to the engineers, the rigging is a fixed setting that is done when it's all installed initially or when any majors are done on the t/r. Both machines where rigged some +-500 hrs previous to the occurance, and both were picked up by the respective pilots just prior to the last MPI...
Eurocopter was sent pictures and the "Had no idea" from them just meant that they did not know how it could have happened. Obviously they can see what is damaged... I can also.... I NEED TO KNOW HOW...

The cracked spar (on the resin coating) was replaced. No-one is going to fly with that - even in Africa.... As for the other damaged parts, as per the MM they were either repaired or replaced. We still use the MM here too...

Lots of questions were asked from you guys about spiders, bearings, etc. and I have passed it onto the engineers. Monday will tell all.... I'll pass all the info on to every one once we can figure it out here.

Thanks again for the help
Let you all know soon...