PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Cabin Crew Strike Threat
View Single Post
Old 27th Jan 2007, 09:02
TopBunk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Posted also on the Cabin Crew forum:

I agree that it is improper to raise the subject on duty. If, however, it is raised by CC then that is different, athough it is better to defer discussions until off-duty downroute. Indeed, it would be almost unbelievable not to discuss the biggest single issue that the company faces.

At the same time, I would not expect my colleagues or them to expect me to issue platitudes but to voice opinions that are held. They may well be diametrically opposed to those held by my CC colleagues, and vice versa. So long as the debate is conducted in the right manner (ie not a screaming lecture, or refusing to listen to counter views), everyone has to accept that and deal with it in any free society.

My personal opinion is that there are personailty issues and the overall relationship between BA and BASSA will need honest arbitration after this is over to get away from the parent-child relationship that has existed for too long. BA undoubtedly are the deaf parent and BASSA the petulant child in their pram with lots of toys. What needs to be recognised is that both sides can gain more by working together than by continual bickering.

Also to be recognised is that the company have chosen the timing of this dispute (BASSA may like to think they have by holding a ballot, but ask yourself about the behavioural patterns beforehand that have forced the BASSA hand). The timings are all in BA's favour; low time of year, just after Xmas and no pay since before Xmas, cabin crew with big Xmas credit card bills to pay - Feb pay could be much reduced if strike happens.

No, as I see it, BA are running rings around BASSA on the publicity front and the CC have no public support at all. However, the T&G and BA have both to find a way out, and both sides have to come out able to proclaim some sort of victory. Who gains what we will have to wait and see.

As I said before, after this is over, a 3rd party will have to get BA and BASSA around the table after analysing the relationship and formulate a plan to move forward. For sure the relationship cannot remain as it is. After the 1996 near-strike by the pilots, People-in-Business, iirc, were brought in to do the same job for BALPA/BA. I know that there are still many issues between BALPA and BA, but I believe in the immediate aftermath of 1996 it served a useful purpose.

The difference is, of course, that BALPA have always proved to be open to reasoned debate and had a management who accepted that they were needed.

BASSA/T&G have not proved, imho, open to reasoned debate and as a result the BA management won't play ball. The big question therefore is, can they both accept the challenge of the 21st Century and cabn BASSA regenerate themselves from a 1970's style TU?