PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - YSBK: Another aircraft down but safe
View Single Post
Old 27th Jan 2007, 04:16
ForkTailedDrKiller

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by hoopdreams
I had an EFATO in a C1150 in Canberra last week. It was my first lesson on emergency procedures, the first two circuits were go arounds and the next two were EFATO simulations. We decided to do one more circuit which was to be another EFATO. So anyways, the instructor pulls the throttle to idle and I go through the motions, however when climbing out , at about 300AAL, the engine starts rough running. The instructor took over and tried to revive the engine by pumping the mixture, but it completely died.

The instructor acted quickly swinging the aircraft towards a paddock. It looked like we were too high for one particular paddock because we were headed for the fence and the trees, but we extended the gluide and made it into the next paddock, which btw was a smooth landing and aircrat was undamaged. We were a bit shaken afterwards but elated to be on the ground safe, we were even having a laugh about it. Fire, ambulance, and police were on scene, followed shortly by the media, which we managed to avoid by jumping a few fences.
I hope to learn from this experience to make me a safer pilot. Everytime I take off I prepare myself for this situation, i.e. looking for a field if EFATO.

Cheers
Any such event that you walk away from is cause for celebration, but ......

Any expanation for why the engine died?

"pumping the mixture" - is not in any emergency procedures I am familiar with?

FTDC