PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK bank account for expats
View Single Post
Old 26th Jan 2007, 13:30
Scottie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bokkenrijder
I can second despegue´s story. The UK is a 3rd world country when it comes to banks!
Instead of accepting a European ID card (or as in my case a European member state passport) as proof of identity, all UK banks want to see that famous utility bill (which any teenager can easily fake!) as "proof of identity." All this because of ´the war on terror´ and fears of money laundering! Hahahaha! Laughable and totally pathetic!
Once you have your bank account sorted out, expect high fees and 3rd world service! Sending some money to Europe (the real Europe, i.e. the mainland!) takes ages, is impossible to set up over the internet (unless Citibank UK--> Citibank EU) and is very expensive! IBAN and SWIFT numbers are not recognised as banking standards, instead UK banks operate with an outdated system of ´sort codes´ which is incompatible with the rest of the world.
Welcome to the UK!
Indeed welcome to the 3rd world country that is offering you a job. The country that is sooo bad it's providing you with employment, cos let's face it you're here cos you don't like living in your own country......the fact that you can't get a job in your own country is neither here nor there......
I have a suggestion, poke off back to your own country in Europe and leave us be as this is just the way we like it. Hopefully we'll find someone who isn't a malcontent to fill you shoes....
Mostly said tongue-in-cheek