PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Which plane to buy..
View Single Post
Old 26th Jan 2007, 08:43
Bravo73

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts
Sorry to burst your bubble, stray10level, but I must correct a few of your details:

Originally Posted by stray10level
130kn cruise, 5 or 6 pax,
Not from a Jetranger, I'm afraid. With all 5 seats full and a bit of fuel, you'll be lucky to get 95kts. Now, if you meant a LONGranger, then you're looking at a cruise of 110-120kts with 5 or 6 pax.

operate from a 50 meter strip!
That much? Within reason, you can safely operate from your back garden.

Runs on Jet A1 or whatever you want to call it at half the price of mogas, or just ordinary petrol as most people know it!
Yep, burns nice 'cheap' JetA1. Unfortunately though, it burns it at about 30USG an hour!

Maintenance is a bit more of a grey area. But as IO540 says, a new piece of kit wont cost half as much as a decrepit old banger will, so it wont be too much if you keep it all upto date.
Cost of maintenance? Well, if you want to budget for it, think of a number. Then double it. Then double it again. And again. Essentially, if you are going to compare it to fixed wing maintenance costs, then just think LOTS.

Plus you get to up your street cred by having a chopper to play with Should impress the girleys!
You ain't wrong there!

I'm sorry, but did you mention budget? Well £150k should get you a working example i think!
Unfortunately, £150k will only get you 'a decrepit old banger' Longranger. Triple that amount for a reasonable example.

But I do like your thinking!

PS I thought that this was a plane...:

Sorry, someone had to say it! I know; hat, coat, door etc...