PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Excess Married Quarters
View Single Post
Old 25th Jan 2007, 18:20
Phochs3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok, I'm going to get dragged in.

The Quarters system is the most ridiculous, frustrating, badly managed system I have ever had the misfortune to get involved in.
The entire system is based on 1950s assumptions and the social demographic today is completely at odds with what is on offer. Imagine the amazement in the DHE office when I explained that my wife actually had a full time job as well and that we couldn't conform to their 0930 - 1630 Mon - Fri timescales when it came to marching in and out, getting things fixed etc etc

Similarly, the whole notion of not being able to get a quarter because you are not married, despite the fact that you have been together for years and have children is little short of an insult.

I had heard horror stories, but until I witnessed a civilian on march out run her hands on the (perfectly clean) curtains and then comment that they were a bit dirty, I did not believe them.

On another note, the grass has to be perfectly trimmed on march out, despite the fact that the PMQ will now be left empty for 8 months, and the wire fence that it between houses is almost horizontal and letting the 2 ft high grass and weeds from the unkept garden next door spill over.
I'm glad that the state of PMQs made the BBC news a few weeks ago, the more publicity about the state of the housing that the MOD provides, the better.

The only reason that more people don't speak out about this issue is because there is a lot of high priced help involved in the DHE system and to do so publically is bound to leave a black mark on your name.