PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - National Jet Systems AWA Hazard Alert
View Single Post
Old 25th Jan 2007, 00:15
Aquaplaner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The reality of the situation is that as a new employee, you are presented with an AWA as the "terms and conditions of employment".

I.e.

"Hello Bloggs Mr. Chief Pilot here we were impressed with your interview so I am e-mailing you a copy of our pilot's AWA, it outlines all of the terms and conditions of employment. Take a couple of days to go through the document, give my office a call if you have any questions. If you are happy with the terms and conditions please call my office and we will send you some formal paperwork to sign, oh and please keep the AWA confidential as it is sensitive commercial information"

If Bloggs does not accept the conditions of the AWA than he does not have a job offer!

Companies are finding it harder to source pilots with the experience levels they have traditionally expected from new recruits, but don't think for a second that we have reached a point where the boss will sit down with a "bargaining agent" and negotiate the terms and conditions of potential new recruits (unless he thinks that he can end up paying you less ).

If Bloggs Brasillia Captain does not accept the AWA than they will offer the job to one of his FO's, or maybe one of his old students who is flying pistons up north. And they will definitely accept the job paying almost double what they are earning now.

Blogg's then has a decision to make. Single handedly try and stop the slide in terms and conditions at this company by saying no to a job offering better T&C's than he presently on, or take the next step in building his career in a company where he will eventually make command on much higher salary.

What do you think he should do?