PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Taceval Tales
Thread: Taceval Tales
View Single Post
Old 24th Jan 2007, 23:50
SASless

Received 518 Likes on 216 Posts
OSD Test II back in the 70's, testing whether a National Guard unit provided sufficient logistics and training could be combat effective within six weeks of call to active duty.

Translated....thousands being stupid in the woods of Fort Stewart, Georgia. Units of the 1st Cav (regular Army as aggressors) against Guardsmen (Weekend warriors) from the 30th Infantry Division.

Division Commander pax in a Kiowa....take me to this location...big thumb on map...yeppers..."no problem boss says I."

Along the way he says there will be a tank battle going on when we get to the location...."Oh, Cool says I."

We arrive and observe many tanks and lots of smoke and dust....Orbit here says he....I do and look down on the second time around the intersection to find myself bore sighting an aceytlene powered M2 Browning .50 Caliber.

The TC in the turret of the M-60 Tank lights off the .50 cal....and I have a Vietnam flashback kinda thing....and instinctively perform a "Lets get the hell out here maneuver" which slightly surprised the Boss. He went from looking down and left to seeing trees over the sky and the entire world spinning like a top then tree limbs flapping against the skids.

A very quiet period of time went by....and the boss looks across at me....all chalky faced and trying to put his stomach back down where it came from...and says "uhhhhhh....guess you been shot at before?"

I swear I saw tracers....