PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Comair Lexington Crash CVR
View Single Post
Old 24th Jan 2007, 21:22
patrickal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pls8xx
I could have done a better job of explaining the technique I proposed. Most all of us have seen the football reciever who thinks to run before the ball is caught. The result is a dropped pass, a lapse of mental discipline.....

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
pls8xx,

What your saying is part of what I spoke of when I mentioned a "culture of discipline". Your are dead on when you speak of having to maintain the level of respect and fear of what you are doing and the implications of doing it wrong. The challenge is that it becomes very difficult to maintain that level of awareness and focus on your own. That is where it become incumbent for the organization as a whole to support and encourage this activity. I would think that is the overall goal of CRM, but obviously the dew is off that lily.

There are a number of obvious reasons why we seem to be seeing more failures that are based not wrong thinking per say, but in lack of awareness. More automated process in the aircraft, a society where distraction is becoming more the norm, an industry that seems to care less about it's employees are but a few of the causes. But whatever the causes are, and no matter how numerous they are, when someone sits down in the front seat of an airlplane, everything in the processes that are used should be centered on focusing attention, and maintaining it. No one should feel awkward about making sure the rest of the crew is equally focused. That is where the change in culture has to take place. I too am not a pilot, but I can clearly see cultural changes are crucial to keeping air travel as safe as it can be.

Patrick