PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot jailed (alcoholism & pilots)
View Single Post
Old 24th Jan 2007, 13:27
olliew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by midsection
It just cant be done. End of story...
But the story will go on for as long as there is alcohol available in society and I am most definitely not proposing the return of prohibition.

I flew commercially for some years and in that time I was often 'under the influence' from the previous nights excesses. This is not something I am proud of but I have learnt lessons since which I hope might benefit others. My Flying career came to a sudden end when a melanoma was found on one of my retinas and subsequent operations led to a partial loss of periphal vision. My reaction was to drown my sorrows in a three month binge the details of which I won't go into except to say that in that period I reached a rock bottom the likes of which I would rather not return to. More importantly I came to believe and admit that I had a serious drink problem (of thirty years standing) and that I could not lick it on my own.
I have now not touched alcohol for well over a year and am most relieved and grateful to be able to class myself as a recovering alcoholic.

That I did not kill myself or, more importantly, anyone else when I was flying, and alot of the time certainly not fit to be doing so, is a miracle about which I have beliefs. That I have been given an opportunity to live a life as a recovering alcoholic is a fact for which I owe a large debt of gratitude.

I believe that an active alcoholic is nine times out of ten living a life of denial. Initially denial that any sort of drink problem exists and at the same time a denial of reality. Just as a drink driver might believe that he is not only capable of driving but maybe even better at it than the next person an alcoholic pilot can believe that he is completely capable of performing his duties and will rationalise his arguments to the extent that he knows he is right beyond doubt. I know this in no way exonerates him for his actions but it is an undoubted part of the illness

So to say that this cannot be done is unfortunately not the case. The story will continue and I feel an important question is how can the situation best be handled.

For my part I now work as a ground instructor and when not at work dedicate alot of my time to working with fellow alcoholics. One of the most challenging aspects (and at times rewarding) of this is addressing the question of denial. Once the problem has been recognised and admitted to, then and only then can steps be taken to make good damage done in the past and hopefully prevent further damage being done.