PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wannabe a pilot! (And I'm too damn lazy to do a search)
Old 24th Jan 2007, 13:13
Whirlygig

Hovering AND talking

Location: Propping up bars in the Lands of D H Lawrence and Bishop Bonner
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hat hair
i would like to know, simply put what i need to do to become a pilot as a career choice. after i finish my A-levels what would my next course of action be?
Find a lot of money and go on an integrated course with Oxford Aviation, Training, Cabair and a whole host of other schools.
a degree is advised but not essential? and what course? how would i start with my PPL?
If you wish to do the modular route (i.e. PPL, hour building, ATPL exams, CPL course) then go along to your local flying school and ask about it.
is there a way to get sponsored to pay for the costs? if so who would sponsor me?
No.
after getting a PPL wat else would i need to get?
build your hours to 150, take the ATPL exams, do a CPL course, Multi-crew course, Instrument rating.
which companies/airlines run training courses?
try a serach on Google for Integrated flying schools or Modular flying schools.
which airlines would hire novice pilots/officers?
Not many as far as I know but I'm not a fixed wing person.

You are going to have a spend a lot of time researching this. Do you have the funds? It will run into tens of thousands for the whole qualification.

If not, maybe go to university and get another career which you could fall back on.

Alternatively, consider joining the Armed Forces.

Cheers

Whirls