PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - R22 Crash Stockport
View Single Post
Old 24th Jan 2007, 12:51
Twiddle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Whirlybird
Phew!!!! Glad you're both OK. One thing this has taught me - as an instructor, I'm never flying as a passenger without the dual controls installed. Not that I think I'm that brilliant a pilot or could cope with everything, but having to just sit there and do nothing must have been terrifying!!!!!!
One thing to add there, when I was a student, I used to do the A checks, one day, having completing the travel, throttle and detent checks, I noticed that whoever had previously refitted the dual controls hadn't secured the collective properly and it just neatly slid out....

Since then, whenever I'm left seat I always check for proper installation (regardless of who did the A check), and whenever I remove them I never refit them myself anymore (not laziness, just ensures that the next person that needs them knows they've been removed and can ensure that they are properly refitted).

And before anybody says about signoff when removing and refitting duals, take a look at your school, does it really happen?

Just a beware, I still remember that day thinking that had something happened then my instructor with a collective in his hand would have made an interesting photo.....