PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CDMA Phones being replaced by Next G
View Single Post
Old 24th Jan 2007, 11:03
BEACH KING

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just my 2 cents worth,

I had a kyocera CDMA with MP3 player on it and works great. On a trip from here to YPJT (A bloody long trip) I had coverage probably 90% of the time in cruise, and the MP3 player into the DC X11 Headsets made the job easier and helpful with actual weather.
Then it fell out of my top pocket into a dish of petrol while cleaning wheel bearings, and that turned out not to be very good for it...

Being with Telstra, they tell me "no more CDMA, you must buy 3G" and talk me into Imate Jasjam. Sounded terrific with with broadband on the move, and (as mentioned above) is good for the BOM radar in the air. In reality in my neck of the woods, the thing drops out.. and often.. with no where near the service of the CDMA on the ground, but fairly similar in flight. I found it bulky and was starting to get used to it.. when it sh*t itself. A fault in the slide out keypad. Apparently this happens often with this unit and it has to be sent to SINGAPORE? to be repaired... no replacement while you wait!!

Just then the CDMA phone (the petrol soaked one) which I gave to my 6 year old son for a toy, suddenly sprang back to life, and after many tears and unforfillable promises was extracated and reconnected with Telstra.

So where I am, my 3G experience has not been good, but that may be due to:
1. my handset choice
2. my location
3. my provider

Ask around before you buy. I am sure many newer types of 3G handsets will be coming available. As far as I know CDMA is going to be around till late 2008.