PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Cabin Crew Strike Threat
View Single Post
Old 24th Jan 2007, 10:54
Finals19

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Having spent 6 years working both LHR/LGW WW and EF at BA, I read this all with great interest. There are certainly a lot of armchair critics here, have neither the inside knowledge nor understanding of the reality of the internal politics and workings of Cabin Services and their associated "managerial" styles...

What really does irk me though is this persistent comparison to "BA crew have never had it so good, they have t&c's and pay that is echelons above the rest of the (low cost) industry etc etc" (Obviously all these posters are/were crew?!) Well, in some instances I would thoroughly agree that BA crew do get well rewarded for what they do, with some of the best benefits in the industry. But BA is not a "low cost carrier" and is not pitching at that market, so why apply low cost market principles to them? What do you propose BA do? Make their crew more "low cost market (!) competitive" ?
Suddenly your greatest resource to retain business and strengthen your brand are sounding like a commodity.

Now imagine if your advocated strategy was applied to you - be you a pilot, manager on the ground, bus/tube driver (god forbid!) etc etc. How would you feel about being made more "low cost market competitive"??? (sub inflationary increases in salary over the last ten years, dilution of t&c's, sudden loss of promotion opportunity with more 24hr avail) Would you feel de-valued in the eyes of your employer? Would you feel de-moralised? The answer is obvious to me (bring on the transparent moral high ground responses!)

I do not agree 100% with the BASSA list of proposals, and I think a strike should be the very last resort. I also don't totally blame the company, and think BASSA and BA can be as bad as each other, with the BASSA media machine also playing a role in getting crew worked up into a frenzy. They have a very valid point on EG300 though, and the new entrant salaries need to be looked at (reference sub inflationary pay rises)