PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bournemouth - Landing Fees !!
View Single Post
Old 24th Jan 2007, 08:25
S-Works

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Riverboat
I have to say, I am shocked, but not that surprised, about the misguided comments made by Bose-X. The fact is, the major airports are not there to serve light aviation per se, but actually do very well from it. (Hangar leases, etc.) A lot of the expensive infrastructure that is required when the main business is seen as providing an airport into which large jets can operate, is totally irrelevant to light aviation, and its costs should not be put on it.
Nearly every airport in Britain was owned, at one time, by the State - the MOD, the local Council etc. When it was, it had very reasonable user fees. Since the majority were privatised the fees and charges have become totally unrealistic in many cases, and the management of the Airports concerned have failed to appreciate that the airports they are running are national and local assets. The Councils knew this, but the private owners don't, or couldn't give a damn.
There is an excuse for Southampton being very expensive, and that is that it is a small airport, is very busy, and light aviation is a bit of a nuisance. Increasing the charges helps to prevent everyone and his brother wanting to fly into Southampton. Their Aerodrome Licence does not allow them to discriminate as far as allowing aircraft in or out, but they can discriminate by charging a lot.
Bournemouth and (say) Bristol don't have this problem. They are bigger airports and also important regional airports. Their charges should be something in the order of £15 a tonne - still a lot, but fair. Instead, at Bristol, where I went only a short while ago in a single, charged me, with compulsory handling, well over £100. I noted a Ryanair flight landing shortly after me, and I bet they paid less than me.
But the point really is, these airports are important regionally and locally and they should not price out GA. It is about time AOPA and BBGA got their act together to mount a (friendly) campaign to get airport managers to be more receptive to GA and light aviation, provided, of course, that their airports are not extremely busy.
See my quote below. When they were state funded they were supported out of taxes and cheap. When they were sold off they became privatre business's dedicated to making money for shareholders. Whatever you may think of my comments they are true. Are you a paid up member of AOPA or BBGA? If not how do you expect them to represent you? If you are why have you not raised the issue with the council?