PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Navigation Training Today - Instructors
View Single Post
Old 24th Jan 2007, 00:40
kiwiblue

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by What time is ECT?
busted into Auckland or flown too close to terrain after selecting the wrong waypoint
Hmmm... so the GPS wasn't the problem; finger-trouble was though? More care necessary methinks. TUNE/IDENT/NAV still works with a GPS -you just need to be switched on to it. And just like your maps, your GPS database needs to be updated periodically so that it does reflect current operational limitations correctly. Once again an operator error, not the GPS. It's only doing what it's told with the best information it has available -information You, the operator provide!!!

What I'm saying is: it's inappropriate to blame the instrument when we as operators fail to check our inputs, or operate with out-of-date databases. The instrument is not to blame for errors -we are! Quite simply put we have a tremendous resource at our disposal in GPS. It'll take us where we tell it to. These 'failures' we are seeing/hearing about are almost in every case related to the operator inputs, or lack thereof. We need to lift our game, check and cross-check all GPS information before it is used operationally.