PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BIRMINGHAM - 3
Thread: BIRMINGHAM - 3
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jan 2007, 21:24
GayFriendly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IMHO BHX is already a second rate airport that relies on a few heavyweight names (AI, CO, EK), is about to lose BA (the airline that had BIA management wrapped round its finger thereby stifling effective airline competition or route development) and has VERY belatedly embraced the loco market having been left behind for dust by the likes of EMA, BRS, LPL etc. Its a shambles that I fear will only get worse since the sad news about Richard Heard (who had the foresight to realise that without extra runway length BHX will go nowhere - hence the departure of FCA long haul and who knows possibly others).

I worked for BIA plc in both the terminals and in Diamond House for three yrs between 2002-2005. In terms of the staff as a whole, well I had never worked with such a bunch of great people or have since, but it terms of long term planning and market awareness, what a joke, great ideas held back by council bureaucracy, union opposition (sorry but its true) and the overriding mindset of BHX being somehow superior to all its competitors, after all we have BA, LH and AF, we don't need the like of Ryanair or those other pesky cheapo airlines, passengers won't go to EMA they'll always use us, thats right, lets just stick our heads in the sand and it'll all be OK. Well its not OK and the lack of foresight from years of ignoring the inevitable is now there for all to see. And by the way, why does BHX have a security queueing corral smaller than that of most airports that handle half the pax often leading to queues of pax back to Frankie and Bennys (and that happened regularly while I worked there so its not all to do with all the changes in security procedures)