PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Interesting note about AA Airbus crash in NYC
Old 23rd Jan 2007, 05:13
airsupport

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Only case I know of in which structure is submitted to deliberate failure is the wing breaking after the ground tests are completed. Even in that case, from my experience, several times before the test few tries are made in order to predict the exact load at which the wing will break. This looks good when the real breaking is performed in front of selected guests. A good show off and a huge amount of useful data as well.
There are other similar tests, on the B767 for example, I was working at Boeing when they did those tests and also a structural test on the fuselage, where they pressurize a fuselage until something lets go, in the B767 it was just near the rear door.

These are tests done on new build structures, yes they put them through simulated cycles, but not (obviously) actual flights.

I do not even really understand, or want to understand what this Pilot did, I am not a Pilot and don't really care IF you blame him or not.

However, after working on these A300-600s out of JFK, I cannot help but wonder if the problems I mentioned before played a part in it, that is no matter who caused what on that tragic day, it was a disaster waiting to happen.