PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Manch Tower - Why readback the SID when taxying?
Old 22nd Jan 2007, 23:30
Mister Geezer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cheers... clears that one up. I am all for keeping R/T as short and concise as possible so I was a bit puzzled as to why we needed to re-read the clearance back. Interesting why it is these two SIDS have been mixed up and not another pair?

When aircraft do fly the incorrect SID it must be a case of briefing what you expect to fly rather than what you have been cleared. Perhaps when it does happen then especially if it is a UK based operator then a bit of research as to why crews continue to fly the wrong SID might provide a insight into what might go wrong. Especially if one particular operator is more to blame than another.

In Europe there are often SIDs with ‘transitions’, which take you to a point and then branch off into various routes. Perhaps with the two SIDs looking so similar then some foreign crews might interpret the HON clearance as the same as a transition after LISTO?? Might seem a bit far fetched but I would not be surprised. Or perhaps it is down to just bad planning rather than a misunderstanding!