PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - S-76C Firehawk?
Thread: S-76C Firehawk?
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jan 2007, 21:15
ShyTorque

Avoid imitations

Location: Wandering the FIR and cyberspace often at highly unsociable times
Received 443 Likes on 235 Posts
CS-H,
Thanks very much for that. I flew something over 300 hours on those three airframes and they are my favourite aircraft. They have quite a history. Two of them were responsible for rescuing three trapped men from the red hot roof of the burning Garley building tragedy in Kowloon, in which 40 people perished. Those men would most definitely have died too, but for those aircraft and the bravery of my colleagues. By the time they were plucked from the fires of hell the soles of their shoes were melting.

Not to mention one of them (either J or K) which survived a night, no lights assault roping exercise onto a ship in the western approaches to Hong Kong. It suffered a fairly serious blade strike when it took out a large whip aerial with the main rotor (it wasn't B-HZI as I was flying that one, immediately adjacent to it ).

I note they still have the Chinese external registration numbers ("B" prefix)and the callsign plagues on the instrument panels. Before being re-registered to China on the 1st July 1997 they were registered VH-HZ/I/J/K.