PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Doncaster Sheffield Airspace Grab
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jan 2007, 21:03
Floppy Link

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lucy Lastic
...on landing the on-board data is uploaded to airline company computers and, should separation not be maintained, even if the aircraft are under ATCO control, the pilot will need to account for failure to keep separation...
But the kit taking the data doesn't (or it certainly didn't in my previous airline [320/321/757/767]) measure separation as it is an external value - only a lot of things like bank angle, IAS, pitch angle, groundspeed, engine parameters, rad alt values, glide slope deviation etc etc. If the PF responds to a TCAS Resolution Advisory (RA), then obviously the internal parameters will show that, but very unlikely that
...the pilot will need to account for failure to keep separation...
Methinks said ATCer is misinformed.
The pilot would possibly need to account for loss of separation if he/she does a visual approach "with number one in sight" and gets too close and thus has to go around due to runway occupancy, but in most good airlines there should be a no blame go around culture i.e.
Chief Pilot "Why did you go around"
Captain "I had to, cocked up the visual"
Chief Pilot "OK, don't cock up the visual again, but if you need to go-around, do it""

Last edited by Floppy Link; 22nd Jan 2007 at 21:11. Reason: ...remembered the TCAS scenario