PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Passenger Death / Critical illness during flight
Old 22nd Jan 2007, 19:52
Mister Geezer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by goshdarnit
I believe I read about a pax dying on a transatlantic BA flight recently, think the article mentioned that BA see about 12 deaths on board annually. Presumably such a "regular" occurrence would mean that any airline of a similar size and profile (hence a similar instance of occurence) would have some kind of standard procedure.
I think that story hit the press because the only quiet area they (cabin crew) had available for the body was in a seat in First. Certainly enough to make you choke on your smoked salmon when you see a corpse carried into the cabin at the pointy end!!! It is a difficult situation for any crew to be in and a relative of mine who is a Dr was on a BWIA 707 many moons ago when a pax passed away en route and one of the washrooms was used to 'store' the body until landing!

Off the top of my head there is a specific (UK) CAA form that needs to be filled in if a passenger dies in flight. Same applies to a birth in flight.

Many larger airlines use the services of a Amercian company called Medlink who provide a fantastic service. Flight crews can liase with Medlink staff and get expert medical advice and advise on the best airfield to divert to if required. According to a friend of mine who has used the service once, they even arranged a ambulance to meet their aircraft on arrival!