PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - From Zero to Forty Five - my PPL Diary
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jan 2007, 15:40
Hampshire Hog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm sure I posted something to this effect on here before, but I'll mention it again. It's worth selecting your first non-flying passenger very carefully. Taking a loved one, or someone you want to impress, can put quite a lot more pressure on, when suddenly you're the commander with real responsibility and things are not necessarily going to plan.

It's worth re-reading the human factors stuff on flying with passengers and what to look out for in terms of their wellbeing. Also, make clear right from the start that you may - for a number of reasons - need to abandon the flight or plan. That reduces the pressure of disappointing someone.

I actually took a really calm friend who had done the odd flying lesson before and knew what to expect from a light aircraft. He was still slightly nervous at first, although that improved after my near perfect landing at our destination

I later took my father-in-law who is ex RAF, so had some idea too. Notwithstanding that, he was nervous as anything - something about the older generation having to put their trust in the younger - relative life roles etc. I was glad I'd taken my more relaxed friend up first!

Finally, make sure you're current and that you've flown enough recently to feel comfortable with your practical skill level. The recent weather has been so bad, I got to the point of deciding not to take any more passengers until I had flown again with an instructor (which I did today, yes!!!)

It's fun though - and a great step in the transition from student to PPL. Have safe flights all.

HH