PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Cabin Crew Strike Threat
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jan 2007, 15:27
Litebulbs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Market Rate

During negotiations with my company, Market Rate has been quoted many times. We are measured against our direct competetors (charter) in all grades. Give or take 5%, the pay is the same across the big four. the skill is trying to get to have the plus side of all the 5% into your T and C's.
If you look at BA, in all departments and all grades, most are paid at least, but mainly more than the market rate. Their is nothing wrong with this, if the quality of staff that you have, bring the profit into the business, that offsets the extra cost. Its Asda to Waitrose. Is WW looking for the most cost effective way of delivering the BA product, or delivering the product the most effective way?
Another problem with BA have, over most of the other airlines that I have seen in the UK, is turnover rate. At BA, their is a obviously well defined and very well paid career path for cabin crew, both on and off the aircraft. It may be slow, but it is their. Is he bothered about this? Every year their will be a new pool of potential cabin crew leaving education and wanting to see the world. I imagine their a fair few school leavers who dream of working for BA, but not that many who dream of working for TUIfly?! Do you actually need a 20 year CSD or 10 year purser? Virgin are making a fortune as a business, and its about six years to CSS and say 10 to IFS. Most people agree that the Virgin product is excellent. The difference between these products is like comparing the Ritz to China Whites. The thing is, their will always be a market for Ritz passengers.
It is a brave battle BASSA are taking on. WW would have been mandated to fix the cost of cabin crew and he will do or he will fail. But if he fails, I am sure there are a few protections drawn into his contract; protections that the average employee does not have.
Still, I am on the side of the CC, as BA are making loads of cash and I feel that they do deliver a great product. Only time will tell though.