PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas must break unions: Ryanair co-founder
Old 22nd Jan 2007, 06:55
Chronic Snoozer

Received 340 Likes on 131 Posts
Two things that struck me – firstly is that $600 generator you bought at Bunnings actually ‘made in Australia’ or ‘designed in Australia’? If it’s the latter, then you’ll probably find its manufactured in SE Asia and you’re getting ripped off buddy. Chasing a ‘brand’ is not always a solution because when you dig deeper they’ve moved their manufacturing base outside their home country eg Bosch. (beginning to sound like our QANTAS)

Secondly, the car industry – why do we still put a tariff on luxury cars? When that’s removed we can move onto airlines. Can someone explain why I must pay a premium to buy the best engineered cars in the world i.e. Mercedes, BMW et al?

Having said that I do like the idea of an Australian flag carrier providing full service – and if I can have that a marginally higher cost than a ‘no brand, no frills’ carrier I will pick it every time. I’ve had my taste of Jetstar and will never again travel with them. Unfortunately it seems QANTAS is too focussed on shareholders and not on stakeholders.

……and can I just say the apparent disparity between management remuneration and the workforce appears obscene and un-Australian…..