PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas must break unions: Ryanair co-founder
Old 22nd Jan 2007, 00:03
Whiskey Oscar Golf

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mr. Sunfish, am I stupid for buying the $600 generator that was built in Australia and has quality and after sales service? I can also be safe in the knowledge that it kept an AUSTRALIAN in a job. Your idea that people will always go for the cheapest is the type of thinking that doesn't give credit to your customers, price is not always the guiding factor.
Competition works great in theory but it is never that simple. Industries will simply use other more subtle means to protect themselves, as has already been pointed out in this thread. I too studied economics at Uni and one of the first things I noticed was it's relevance to real world was a very distant blip.
As to the thread, unions can play a crucial role in the productivity and profitability of a company. Managers should realise that by working with unions they can achieve some very good outcomes. It doesn't help anyone to move into an adversorial situation. The aged stereotype of the red ragged union is gone and the sooner the bias and small mindedness dissappears the better off we'll all be. Unions don't want companies to go under, they employ their members. They just want a fair go.

Last edited by Whiskey Oscar Golf; 22nd Jan 2007 at 01:00. Reason: spilling