PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British KLM pilots to ballot for stike action
Old 21st Jan 2007, 16:49
Otterman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am on dangerous ground here. But I would like to respond.
Almost by definition all pilots employed by either Transavia (80% owned by Air France/KLM), and Martinair (50% owned by Air France/KLM) have in the past been turned down by KLM mainline. The reasons are varied (from being too old (an issue back in the eighties), to not meeting the perceived KLM profile). It certainly doesn’t reflect on the quality of the people involved. These pilots have in the past flown KLM mainline passengers (on contracts or code shares), yet have not had the chance to transfer to KLM mainline (and the vast majority of these fine people are Dutch). As a foreigner and a Boeing 777 captain with KLM, I don’t feel discriminated against in the least. I did do the polite thing and became fluent in Dutch, and have been taking French courses (as these are my new owners, something most of my colleagues still haven’t grasped). Being the company with the best employment conditions in Holland, they can set their standards (simple supply/demand). Of the candidates that wish to join up with KLM mainline the company is free to take the ones they consider the best fit. It is the same proces these Transavia or Martinair pilots would have to go through. Some who try make it, some don't. We don’t need a 1000 pilots, we need only what is required. Any British colleagues are more than welcome to join me on the flight deck, and he won’t even have to speak Dutch to me. Racism is just plain brown smelly stuff produced by a bull, and is something only an idiot would imply.

Last edited by Otterman; 21st Jan 2007 at 17:40.