PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Comair Lexington Crash CVR
View Single Post
Old 21st Jan 2007, 12:25
411A

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hmmm, lets see.
A young guy (or gal) wants to be an airline pilot.
So, out they go and obtain their ratings and get hired by a regional airline.
Even Comair perhaps.
Especially Comair, and I suspect that many of the guys there eventually expected Delta to absorb the operation, and they would have a DAL seniority number.
Ain't gonna happen, and never will, which is perhaps just as well, as DAL is bankrupt anyway.
Pensions gone, etc.
Anyway, these folks are hired by the regional into the RHS of a nice shiney new jet.
So far, so good.
Before being hired, they are informed of...
Salary.
Working conditions.
If they agree, and agree is the operative word, they proceed to ground school, where in addition to systems knowledge about the airplane, they receive information about flight and duty time limitations, as laid down by the company, and the FAA.
There it is, in black and white, for 'em to read and (hopefully) understand.
Then on to sim, line training etc, and presto, a newly minted jet transport First Officer.
What's one of the first items on their agenda that they complain about?
Salary, and duty/flight time limitations.
Oh dear... 'we are tired, we never see our families, we don't make enough to make ends meet.'
Well, so what?
You wanted to be an airline pilot, and now you are one.
Welcome to the club.
Tough beans.
Cry me a river.
Not happy in your present position?
Write your Congressman about changing the flight/duty time regulations, and if you really are unhappy, I expect Subway is accepting applications.
However, if you decide that airline flying is really what you want to do as an ongoing career, then pay attention to what you are doing on the FD, and don't attempt departure on an unlit (and too short) runway.
In short, do the job (properly) for which you are being paid, and stop using fatigue and duty/flight time limitations as an excuse for poor performance.