PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Cabin Crew Strike Threat
View Single Post
Old 21st Jan 2007, 10:39
Eddy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have taken SOME of the points and responded to them here. I'd removed others that are either too complex to discuss, I don't have the patience to discuss (because we all know what's going on with them and share similar views), or don't really affect me directly - like fixed links and CSD removal on shorthaul. I would prefer to leave those to a colleague from Shorthaul to discuss.

2. BUSES (commuting cabin crew)
By Mouse : I believe that the removal of the bus service was causing some difficulty for commuting crew. Valid grievance but a strike issue?

By Eddy : To an extent, yes (this has been causing difficulty). A huge portion of the BA cabin crew workforce commutes by air to Heathrow and relies on, midweek, the BA shuttles to ferry them between the terminals and the Compass Centre.

In the past there was a dedicated crew shuttle but it was cancelled about, gosh, nine months ago. Why the company chose to cancel it just eighteen months before a move to Terminal Five is anyone's guess.... Terminal Five will sort this situation once and for all, as the report centre is within the main terminal.

Anyway, at weekends the BA buses that we now use (which are actually 'designed' for Waterside residents) do not run and we have to rely on public buses. Normally not a problem, but when you have three or four cabin crew with Delseys and cabin bags trying to get on a bus with all and sundry (many of them with luggage), you get problems. Crew are routinely denied boarding because of space limitations.

Is it a serious issue? Well, not really. Is it worth striking over? Absolutely not. Is it something that could be easily rectified (and it looks like it has been) fairly cheaply? Indeed. Extending the BA5 to visit the terminals on weekends only would be a perfect compromise.

3. GATWICK BREAKFAST ALLOWANCE (Gatwick cabin crew)
By Mouse : BASSA want the existing Gatwick shorthaul breakfast arrangements to be applied across Gatwick longhaul flying.

Another minor issue and didn't BA offer a 4% increase in the hourly rate at LGW to 'buy off' this issue?

By Eddy : Do the maths matey. A 4% increase in the hourly rate over the course of a three day Dallas trip equates to little over four quid. Find me a decent breakfast in America for four quid (apart from McDonalds) and I'll eat my hat.... Well, I would if I had one.

Further, I don't think that the union were consulted about this change. It was just imposed. When we signed up to SFLGW, breakfast allowances WERE being paid. It was part of the deal. For the company to just change things is really not on when we have a union in place.

4. EG300 (all cabin crew)
By Mouse : The new absence management policy was agreed with BASSA and Amicus in October 2005. CC received £1,000 each upon signing up. CC don't like its implementation, nothing to do with the fact that it HAS dramatically reduced the still high levels of CC social sickness. BASSA have tried to make the policy unworkable by insisting that every return to work interview was attended by a BASSA rep as well.

What are BASSA actually asking for on this issue?

By Eddy : The biggest part of the problem is that things that SHOULD be discounted under the terms that we signed up to, are not being. Friend of mine had route canal surgery in America. It's classed as invasive which should be immediately discounted. Was it? Like hell it was.

You're right that social sickness is a problem. It's a big problem but one that IS improving with EG300. The problem is that those who are genuinely unwell and cannot work are paying the price. Often paying more than those who are calling sick to watch Ascot.

EG300 should be working. Infact, it does work to a large extent. We just need the company or, more precisely, those leading the attendance interviews and making the decisions about discounting illness, to stick to the rules as we signed up for.

5. DOWNROUTE REPORT TIME

By Mouse : Report times are generally set so that crew arrive with sufficient time to enable an on time departure. If times become too rigidly controlled you watch the opportunity to quickly visit the duty free shop disappear. Again a small issue not worthy of a strike ballot.

Our report times have gradually been brought forward without anyone really noticing - five minutes here, five minutes there, etc. It's logical to try and get us to the airport as early as possible (within reason) to make a timely departure, but we need to make sure that these extra minutes are being counted towards our duty - they're not at the moment.

Small issue perhaps, but a breach of our agreements. Attempt to have this rectified by talking have failed, so it's been added to the list of items we're looking to take action over. By itself it's not the extra time that's the issue - it's the breaking of industrial agreements.

6. 900 HOURS annual flight time limit.

By Mouse : BASSA wanted guarantees that when cabin crew reach 900 flying hours they will not be used for any duty, e.g. training.

The EU working time directive says that an employee cannot be rostered to work more than 900 flying hours, or 2,000 duty hours, in a rolling 12-month period.

Heaven forbid that BA want to utilise previously available working time
instead of giving it as free time off.

By Eddy : I agree with you to an extent. Only problem is that this company has, in the past, deliberately recruited people from around Europe. People who don't live in the UK. This went a long way to establishing the culture of commuting to work and, as such, a massive part of the crew community does so.

I have no real problem with being asked to do the occasional course. It's in the remit of my role as crew. That's fine. I do have an issue with being asked (or told) to work in the terminal. THAT is not my job. I am cabin crew and I'm happy to do anything that is linked with MY JOB. I don't want to have to be doing someone elses just because some halfwit in the EU decided to make up this rediculous law.

Further, making these courses in London is an obvious choice for the airline, but as commuting costs increase, I routinely have to spend over 100.00 (on flight and hotel) to attend a four hour training course.

My choice to live where I live, but the company encouraged commuting in the past and should try and be more considerate when rostering courses to people - and not just those who fly in to London.

8. PREFERRED DUTY FREE SELLER
By Mouse : This issue is about maximising revenue generation onboard from High Life Shop and, I believe, was about the best person for the role of bar operator, as opposed to a seniority-based selection process, operating the duty free trolley.

So let everybody have a go at duty free sales at the cost of selling less and reducing BAs income stream?

By Eddy : I am personally in favour of this.

11. PURSER/JUNIOR SWAP (B747)
By Mouse : BA want to reduce the number of pursers on a B747 from four to three.

So we need 1 x CSD and 4 x pursers for a crew of 16 - 18?

Speaks for itself!

By Eddy : I'd love the chance to go for promotion. Looks like I'll never get it. You'd be surprised at how many people online don't actually see this as a big issue. Most (or many) do actually seem willing to let the Purser go. I withhold judgement.

That said, if the company do remove the purser and reduce my chances of promotion so drastically, I would hope that they'd put in place another means for me to leave my 14k earning ceiling. This, of course, brings us on to :

12. POST-1997 CC PAYSCALES
By Mouse : BASSA wish the current £15,000 p.a. BASIC pay cap to be removed.

These were the pay scales agreed for the new entrants after the debacle of the 1997 strike. BASSA now want to change what they agreed to increase BASIC pay levels above £15,000?

By Eddy : This is a tricky one. I think this popped up because of a new link that's been put in place for our ground colleagues that sees the old and new payscales meet up, much like we're trying to put in place in the air.

Where will the money come from? I have no idea. We're talking about a lot of extra cash over time. I'd love to see my salary continue to rise past my current ceiling and I thank my reps, most of whom are on the old payscale or in senior roles where the payscales are largely the same, for taking on this 'cause'. I do, however, think that this will be the most difficult issue for us to 'win'.

If the company takes the purser away, I'd say that this is an absolute MUST to enable people's earnings to increase over time. I don't want to be a 60 year old bloke (and I do hope to still be at BA by the time I'm 60 - yes, I love the company that much) flying around on 14k a year. Whether that increase comes from the above proposal OR from promotion, I don't really mind (as much as I'd love promotion). That said, it would be great to have both options and that, I think, is what the unions are fighting to offer us.