PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wireless routers
View Single Post
Old 20th Jan 2007, 23:07
Keef

Official PPRuNe Chaplain

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Cornish Jack
As a generality, are there any major problems with the setting up?
Generally: setting up a router can be as easy as plug it in - tell it your user-ID and password - go. The instructions that come with the devices are usually straightforward and no problem to follow.

It can sometimes be a bit trickier - with instructions in High Klingon, or silly pictures that don't make it clear. A question on here will usually elicit a solution.

I'd recommend getting it all plugged together and working with the "main" or "desktop" machine, all cabled together (assuming you're planning to use wire to connect them). That should be pretty easy.

Then try connecting the second machine - plug-in or wireless. Once you've done computer number two, subsequent ones should be a doddle.

The third stage is getting the machines so that they can see each other, swap files, etc - if you want to do that. Still not difficult, but some more bits to learn.

Somewhere in there, you need to set up your firewall - with a decent router, there's a hardware one already. I would also use ZoneAlarm, because even hardware firewalls can let one through. Don't bother with the Microsoft firewall.

The usual recommendations apply regarding anti-virus and anti-spyware etc - there are plenty of threads on those. It seems to become more important when you have a network running.

As for AOL - I've helped several folks break out of the prison, and most have been amazed at the world they've found outside. One was terrified, cancelled the "real" broadband contract, and went back to AOL. Whatever works for you.