PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - IE6 major problems...
View Single Post
Old 29th Jan 2002, 20:18
Groundgripper

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I had exactly the same problem with a Win 98 set-up. I loaded IE6 off one of the free CDs in Computer Shopper magazine which also had the Tiscali ISP software on it - BAD move!!. .The first thing I noticed was that the Freecell game would not run (OK, I'm sad). Then everytime I tried to use any of my internet connections the machine would dial up, connect, put up the IE page and then tell me it could not connect as the page was not available or due to a DNS error. I tried to uninstall IE6 and appeared to have succeeded, but still got the same message. Couldn't uninstall IE completely so it was backup everything, restart in DOS, format C and start again from scratch! Drastic, but it worked. I don't think I lost anything significant, just most of a weekend. I wondered if it was the Tiscali part of the software but they were about as much use as a chocolate fireguard, tried one 0870 number then two different 0906 numbers at 50 pence a minute. I think the moral is never to trust anything given away free in a computer magazine.