PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - INTRA-OCULAR LENS Surgery
View Single Post
Old 20th Jan 2007, 20:06
Loose rivets
Psychophysiological entity

Location: Tweet Rob_Benham Famous author. Well, slightly famous.
Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts
With the greatest respect to everyone, this is a bewilderingly confused thread. Remember, I'm a pilot (time expired) not a doctor.

Let's go back a step or two.

You want to hold a class one medical and your ‘natural' prescription is too far out to allow for lasic-type treatment.

You have CYL & SPHERICAL figures which you are trying to sum so that you get a net figure for aviation assessment.

The figures do not, at this time, allow you to apply for the medical. What can be done?

Well, keep your chin up, because there have been great strides in surgery over the last 20 years, but you need to compartmentalize your eye defects.

The information you need must come from consultant eye surgeons. Heading off to a lasic type place could leave you.........well, I won't even go there. You need unbiased and skilled professional advice.

You need to know where the defects (plural) lie. Is the astigmatism in the lens or the cornea? Is the focus defect in the lens or the cornea? There is no point whatsoever in trying to fix an error that is caused by two defects, by some barbaric attack on the outer eye.

It is imperative to sort the wood from the trees when considering an implanted lens. They work, and I hear comments like (following cataract surgery) ‘It's the first time in my life that I wake up and can see across the bedroom.' A lifetime of blurred vision without glasses, is often corrected to near perfect vision after cataract. I say often, because a lot of places don't set very high standards, and specs are needed to correct the residual problems....but it is possible to aim for everything but the ability to vary the focus. Wearing ‘readers' is a small price to pay. Having said this, some lenses are supposed to be controllable. Cutting edge stuff, and I have no personal knowledge of it, but it's there...now.