PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Old British airline callsigns
View Single Post
Old 20th Jan 2007, 17:15
Talkdownman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BEXIL160
From distant memory.....
RAE Farnborough was allocated "NUGGET", and the callsigns were individual to pilots sooo....
01 was "the boss"
02 deputy boss
04 Wing Comander Flying?
05-19 various Test Pilots
20-22 transport flight pilots (they flew the "ferry" service in the Devons and later, the PA31s.... one or two also drove the Farnborough Dak KG661/ZA947)
30 -ish Helicopter test pilots ???
60 - 62 Meteorological Flight pilots. (Usually associated with the "METMAN" C130 "Snoopy" although at least one of these chaps flew the Chieftans as well).
Boscombe Down used "GAUNTLET" plus numbers for their test pilots and West Freugh (whatever happened to THAT place?) had something else for their balck and yellow Buccs.
All the above is from a VERY deep recess of my mind..... so might well need some correction
Mr. Clarke will be along shortly to tell me I've got it all wrong. over to you Terry.
Rgsd BEX
Yes, Chevvron will be along shortly to cooroborate, from but '82-'86
01 was OC, Gp Capt, last seen CFI Old Sarum
02 was Wg Cdr Flying
09 was a one-off...Fred Stringer
10 - 14 Transport. (I can remember most of their names.....)
20 - 23 were the 'airliner' boys
Yes, the 30's were usually rotary esp 37 but 38 and 39 were the IAM rehab Docs in the fast jets. Good old 38, took me for some dual in XL565.
40 was another one-off
50's were the fast jet jocks
You're dead right about Metman
All the names are flooding back.......
Boscombe also had 'Tester'. I used to enjoy intercomming to the tower just before transfer from Stud 2 to Stud 1 "Tester Calls"........