PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - E-3D Storm Damage
View Single Post
Old 20th Jan 2007, 13:45
Krystal n chips
Thought police antagonist

Location: Where I always have been...firmly in the real world
Received 127 Likes on 92 Posts
Despite the apparent damage shown on the photo's, I will stick my neck out and say it's probably nowhere near as bad as it appears. Think of like a head wound---lots of mess, but when you clean up there's usually very little real damage.

Mr Boeing's skins are not that thick really ( based on personal experience with 707 / 737 / 757 types ) and the structures are equally, comparatively speaking "flimsy" to save weight as I recall. Hence, when you get a crimp, they tend to look far worse than they are. What damage has been done to any systems behind the skin is another matter of course.

I am sure though, that the anal palpitations of the beany brigade will reduce in intensity once it is assessed. Who does the repair will be interesting though---CWP from Boeing perhaps ?.

Shame the powers that be decided it was a good idea to get rid of the deep repair and maintenance capability---or MU's in another time and place-because, whilst they may not have been able to do the complete repair, much of the nitty gritty and clean up / rectification would certainly have been within their capability. As it is, I bet this all goes on the bill.