PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NEWCASTLE - 5
Thread: NEWCASTLE - 5
View Single Post
Old 20th Jan 2007, 13:08
nclairportfan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have no grievance with Eastern, I have used them and think they are wonderful. There service has also been excellent and I am partial to a glass of champagne! However, just to explain why I mentioned those routes:

BE are well known for targetting T3's routes. T3 has it's place in serving thinner, business orientated routes but, for example when they took over the CWL route pax numbers decreased because of their fares. I don't believe that CWL, ABZ and BHX should be used so thinly and I think it will take someone like BE to shake up the market slightly. Look at SOU, we have both T3 and BE and pax numbers have soared.

BE also mentioned in a news article some time ago that ABZ and BHX were options if aircraft are based at NCL and with them starting some flights out of CWL this would add an extra argument for them to start NCL-CWL or vice versa.

In addition, T3 can probably not sustain some routes in the very long term. Businesses are getting more and more tight about their travel budgets, and in some cases are making their staff take the cheapest option - even if that means the train or car. Gone are the days when many businesses will pay £300 return to BHX when you can get first class train tickets to Birmingham for under £100 if you book a few days in advance.