PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - upgrade failure rates / sacked while in trainig
Old 20th Jan 2007, 10:40
Five Green

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You posed the question. The question itself represents the issue. What diiference does it make what my background is ?

However I have worked in check and training elsewhere. I have also helped write policy and procedural manuals for airlines in the past. I have seen the check and training thing done far worse and I have seen some methods that if included in the Cathay training programme would make our very good system even better.

Other systems have checks and balances in them to prevent the uneven application of policy. In terms of individual trainers, inter-fleet and fleet specific policy. While I know that there is a move towards improving this area, I think we need to do more. I bring this up now because the crunch is coming. If the anticipated number of command slots is to be filled at our current average pass rate of (aprox) 65% then we need to change the methods, or at least recognise the limitations of the current system. If you look at the numbers and even assume a pass rate of 75% then you will need to process 200 command candidates to get 150 commanders. Not possible under the current system. Best case we can do 100-120 command courses and get 75-90 captains which is well short of the projected requirement.

So where do they get the captains from ?

I have never made a personal comment about your abilities. The fact you read and post here tells me you are concerned enough and proud enough of your position at BBSA. I am sure that you do not represent the style of "checking only" that is so common.

Cheers, looking forward to meanigful discussion on how we handle the training and improve the pass rates at all levels.

FG