PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sexual Harrassment Questionnaire
View Single Post
Old 19th Jan 2007, 23:15
Whirlygig

Hovering AND talking

Location: Propping up bars in the Lands of D H Lawrence and Bishop Bonner
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here's an true anecdote from my days as an auditor; about 17 years ago!! I worked as an audit senior for a well-known manufacturer of filing cabinets whose name bears the place of manufacture! I had, working with me, a young lad fresh from university as my junior trainee. As part of the audit he had to cross the paint shop which was virtually staffed by women. I thought nothing of it until the poor boy came back in nearly in tears.

Now I thought the main shop floor of blokes was bad until this chap told me what these women had said as he walked past. In the end, I had to have "a little word" with the fore(wo)man and ask her to tell the women to give the boy a break.

So yes, it can work both ways BUT it is not usual.

In most circumstances of sexual harrassment, it comes from a senior person down to a junior and MOST senior positions, whether military or otherwise, are still held by men.

The nature of general characteristics should be considered here and one to one sexual harrassment by a woman to a man must be very rare indeed. I'm not saying it doesn't happen but rare it is. Men also have the tacit advantage of physical strength and that is something that many women will fear, even in the workplace.

However, what I appreciate is difficult for anyone to judge, is what what person finds acceptable banter, another may be upset and offended by. I hope it doesn't go too far.

I do not think I have ever been the subject of sexual harrassment; probably because most men wouldn't dare! But it could also be that I have a higher tolerance threshold than others.

But any behaviour that upsets someone else needs to be considered and addressed, preferably by the person themself rather than have them running off to their manager or worse, HR!

Cheers

Whirls