PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Inflight Emergency - Land at all cost?
View Single Post
Old 19th Jan 2007, 16:40
TopBunk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Guys

You really should READ all that I said, not just bits in isolation. I did not advocate sitting twiddling my thumbs. I stated a set of conditions in which I may (slightly) delay evacuation.

They included:

No other indications of fire (no visible smoke, not abnormal conditions, no hot floors, etc)

Being at a good airport with good, reliable fire services (they would be at the aircraft as you came to a halt) with thermo-imaging equipment available, on a dedicated fire frequency and I would have already spoken to the fire chief before landing to give all details.

If those conditions were satisfied, then I would consider delaying an evacuation, not for ever, but for a brief period of time. It would take a competent fire crew probably about 30 seconds after coming to a halt to update you. If there are no visible flames, then that would leave plenty of time to evacuate the aircraft should it be necessary before it became an inferno, imho.

I am thinking about an LHR incident about 18 months ago when a XXX320 abandoned take off with an engine fire. The flight deck indications were of an engine still on fire after agent discharge, the fire team however, using thermal imaging said not to evacuate, as the fire was contained in the core. Good liaison resulted in the best result.

As I said, read the full post together and not bits in isolation.