PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA IR issues
Thread: BA IR issues
View Single Post
Old 19th Jan 2007, 15:54
Carnage Matey!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Maus
The same old names keep on popping up: CarnageMatey and Sporran, in particular, to add their little gems of wisdom. It saddens me that there should be such divide between our cabin crew and our flight crew........ I thought that perhaps this breakdown in CRM has become pervasive, but I have noticed to my relief that without exception, all the flight crew I have flown with since the start of these current IR issues, have had little in common with the thoughts of CarnageMatey or Sporran. I am glad the days of "us" and "them" is firmly behind us.
I'm afraid the bad old days of "us" and "them" never went away. We've tried very hard with CRM to bring the cabin crew community into the team (heck must of us even steer well clear of talking about this ludicrous ballot in the workplace just to keep a lid on things). Unfortunately an awful lot of crew seem to think that CRM means they can do what they damn well please. I have lost count of the number of times I've encountered crew who have had to be either corrected (diplomatically) or occasionally reprimanded by someone, only to find they see no error on their own part and accuse the flight crew of "bad CRM". Here are some very current examples of great team work from the IFS side:

LGW trainers instructing trainees they must not give flight crew first class food. (This is presumably out of spite)
LGW trainers telling trainees the above is necessary as flight crew get thousands of pounds each year not to eat it. (An outright lie)
BASSA intervening to stop the B2B bus routing from T4 to the car park to the crew hotel (presumably to spite the pilots again)
BASSA reps telling hotels they must not offer room upgrades to FOs unless the CSD can also be upgraded.
BASSA reps telling their members they were prevented from attending pensions meetings (they weren't) and BALPA have stolen their members money to fund the pilots pensions (they haven't).

Thats five examples straight off the top of my jetlagged head, all occurring within the last 12 months. With that sort of provocation on a continual basis do you wonder why relations are strained?