PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fuel Surcharge response letter
View Single Post
Old 19th Jan 2007, 15:09
Sqwak7700

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not to mention the benefit to the compnay of having crewmembers on-board to help out in case something goes wrong. US airlines realized this long ago, and crewmwmbers are always welcomed to fill empty seats.

I remember a TWA L-1011 that aborted a TO in JFK due to a stick shaker activating falsely on rotation. That aircraft ruptured tanks and set fire pretty quickly. If you see the wreckage you would be amazed that everyone got out without any serious injury. The flight had lots of crewmembers traveling which was instrumental in evacuating all the passengers safely.

I'm sure that Cathay would expect the same of us in a similar situation. It is written all over VOL2P2 and the QRH. Yet we are paying ridiculous fares. Staff travel is supposed to be just one of the industry perks that make us overlook the other ****t like working holidays and weekends, or spending lots of time away from home. Not here in CX I guess.

My previous job gave us free domestic Y class travel after serving 5 years with the company. And the domestic first class charge was less than 20 USD anywhere in the continental US. And we were considered higher than the rest of the industry. Now, don't any of you morrons tell me "that is why your company didn't make any money". Empty seats are empty seats. If it where not for the employee occupying that seat, then the aircraft would leave with that seat empty. So it doesn't cost the company ****t.

CX's view towards fuel surcharges is simple. Think about it, if they just raise their ticket price, then that is just a price hike. If they call it a fuel surcharge, then when you search online for the lowest fare, it makes CX look competitive to other airlines who might not be charging a fuel surcharge. Not until it comes time to pay do you realize that there is one hand on your shoulder and a growing discomfort in your derriere.

The real question I want answered; was the fuel surcharge accounted for in last year's profit numbers?. That is what really makes me curious. If it wasn't then we should all have gotten a healthy profit share. I want to know where those figures were posted. The profit report detailed all expenses and accounted for many things, but I didn't specifically see "Fuel Surcharge" on there.

That is what the Union should be seeking answers to. If they already have, or that is a non issue, then I apologize for beating a dead cat.