PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FSTA-When?
Thread: FSTA-When?
View Single Post
Old 19th Jan 2007, 13:46
sprucemoose

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What-ho Jacko. I'm dismissive of the A310 as a tanker because I don't think it's any good; too old, too small etc. I made no mention of the KC-767 in my post, and am not comparing the A310 with it as it is of no relevance to the UK argument. But is the EADS boom any further down the line than the Boeing one at this stage? They haven't talked about it for a good long while now, which makes me suspicious. Nine A330s and nine A310s for the RAF though - I bet you a fiver that isn't going to happen!

Roland, I agree that the big PFI seems a bad plan, beyond easing the EP budget, but we're probably going to be stuck with it. Yes Australia will get its A330s very quickly, but that's because it is prepared to spend money on kit and doesn't faff about for a decade in the planning and procurement phase like us. That's not going to change. BTW, Drayson said last week in the Lords: "our intention is to bring the future strategic tanker aircraft into service at the end of the decade"; how's that for optimism? He also seems very commited to signing the CVF deal, so I don't think you are going to see a big ticket procurement go - probably just important bits cut off everything we do buy!