PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PPRUNE MAIL SPAM
View Single Post
Old 14th Dec 2001, 19:42
Mad_Max_II

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Since contributing to this topic (Althogh Danny might have a different word for it) I have had a little think about some measures which may be taken to thwart the spammers and the automatic harvesting of emails from this BB.

1. Danny switches off the email validation system, so that pprune users can add their own anti-spam additions to their publicly viewable email addresses Eg. madmax(remove)@pilot.pprune.org.

2. The makers of the UBB system (Infopop) program in measures similar to the anti flood system, whereby only one profile will be served to a single IP address in any given time scale -say one every 3 minutes.

3. When serving a profile page, instead of showing the plain text email address, the UBB system creates, on the fly, a graphical representation of the address. This would be just as easy for a human to read, but would be very difficult for a harvesing script to do so, without going down the (very complicated) OCR path.

Anyone got any more?

Btw. I have contacted infopop with the concerns raised within this topic, and with my proposed solutions. I'll let you know what they say.