PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PPRUNE MAIL SPAM
View Single Post
Old 11th Dec 2001, 04:03
suction

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4g_handicap - If your e-mail address has been added to someones mailing list then it's a fair bet this won't be the last spam you'll receive. The best advice I can give is to use your e-mail software's capabilities to block the senders address so as you don't get any more. Microsoft Outlook for instance gives you the capability to 'block' e-mail addresses and entire domains (the bit that comes after the @ symbol in the address). Not every e-mail client may have such facility, but if yours doesn't you could always consider using another e-mail client (if you had internet access through one provider and hence had their e-mail client software, there's usually no reason why another vendors e-mail client couldn't be configured to access your existing e-mail provider). A good source of both freeware & shareware software is http://www.download.com - you might find suitable e-mail client software there if you don't have access to anything else. You might also find utilites to use in conjuntion with your web browser that prevent those tiresome 'extra' windows opening up when you visit some folks web sites (let me know if you find anything - I haven't had then chance to look myself).

Anything designed to clog up an e-mail system (and potentially damaged the operating efficiency of a company) is likely (if not surely) to be classed illegal. Certainly the authors of the 'I luv u' mail virus can testify to that.

On this point, there is another doing the rounds at the moment. The message subject is 'HI' and it contains a file with a .SCR extension. If you open it then it forwards itself on to all the e-mail addresses store locally (again - it's just designed to bring e-mail servers to there knees with the volume of traffic). Still cleaning this one up in my own company unfortunately - despite sticking notes on ever blo@dy door, notice board and desk in the office !!!!!

Hope this helps

Suction