PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BRISTOL - 3
Thread: BRISTOL - 3
View Single Post
Old 18th Jan 2007, 20:31
MerchantVenturer

Brunel to Concorde

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi terrier,

The Weston Area Development Framework proposes major traffic infrastructure developments between Weston/Worle and the M5.

The Greater Bristol Strategic Transport Study has identified a new strategic road link between Weston and Bristol via BIA. However, this is a highly contentious issue and is one of several new road suggestions put forward in the GBSTS, a number of which concern access to BIA from various parts of the city-region (to use the latest government-speak).

Worle Station has been identified as a park and ride site and also a transport interchange.

The Area Development Framework suggests a high-quality 20-minute frequency bus service from Weston via Worle Station to BIA if these proposals come to fruition.

In its master plan the airport says that the strength of such a route would depend on the ability of Worle Station to take high-speed trains, with particular reference to platform lengths.

I emphasise that these proposals are nowhere near certain to happen and I have my doubts about Worle as a rail interchange for the airport anyway.

Whether main line train operators would stop there regularly must be open to doubt. I suggested Parson Street station to the airport for a similar role a year or two ago and they said no main line trains would stop there. It is on the same main line between Bristol and Exeter as Worle.

And if it did happen how many rail passengers would use it to access the airport? Only those coming from Bridgwater/Taunton and further west would reach Worle before Bristol TM.

All other rail passengers would reach TM first. Why would they stay on the train or, in many cases, change trains to board a Flyer at Worle when they could do so at TM where the road journey time would be about the same as that from Worle?

Of course, it may be that Weston people travelling to the airport would use a dedicated bus or Flyer service in reasonable numbers.

The airport master plan discusses Flyer-type options from other places in and around Bristol including Bath, Parkway, Clevedon/Portishead and Nailsea & Backwell station.

I note the Welsh Assembly leader is talking again about an M 4 link to CWL. An M 5 link to BRS would be no longer in length but I doubt there is the political will this side of the Channel.

BTW, I thought Penrose MP was against further BRS expansion.

On another matter, I came across this US newspaper link re the BRS-EWR service.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...s/4478763.html

It discusses the history and future of this route and CO’s strategy in serving smaller European airports.

The report also says that the airport has suspended landing fees for the first three years. Presumably this is the so-called ‘subsidy’ that others have spoken of in the past in connection with this route.