PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cessna Citation Down at Van Nuys
View Single Post
Old 18th Jan 2007, 16:09
ssg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Baggage Door Unlock

Just to clarify...in Citations..

One should check that the clasps and baggage door lock is in the verticle position(locked) prior to flight. Clasps can look locked, but only be 1.8" out, so it's standard that I push hard to make sure they are in. They should click in.

So they missed that....

If that is missed, then the baggage door annunciator should be lit, and prior to takeoff in any jet I have flown one should have a clear panel.

So they missed that...

If the pilots were flying on a sunny day, and the night lights were on, dimmed panel, maybe they missed that too.

Another is if they didn't do the rotary check, and maybe the baggage door annunciator light was burned out, tney could have missed that.

And ofcourse keep in mind, there were two pilots, that basicaly missed all this twice.

Some things to look out for.

One time I put 9 pax on board, after preflighting the aircraft, and then I do a walk around after pax have boarded to preclude cell phones left on wings, keys dropped infront of tires, latte cups on wing, ect)...this day I walked back over to hangar to check side doors, came back and thought I should do a quick run around....someone had gotten out of the aircraft, tried to pop the baggage door, probably to get some sun glasses, ect, couldn't get past the lock, got back in the plane. I caught it, stuck my head in the cabin, inquired, no one said a word. Welcome to my world. Talked to the boss about it, you would think one preflight would be enough, it took three that day to catch it.

All that said, I am told, and this is confirmed by above checklist recital, that you keep your speed appropriate to fly the plane, land ASAP, but the plane should fly, even if a bag came out and went through the engine.

If I were to guess, you got enough Citation drivers flying perfectly good aircraft into the dirt lately, that in this case, if the baggage door was flapping around violently, then that was probably just enough of a distraction to not watch airspeed, altitude, VSI for climb..ect.

It's a tragedy, and I don't want to make light of it, but it does illustrate the need to hire guys with experience and not just try to save another buck on pilot salaries.