PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Management And Pilots Should Read This!
View Single Post
Old 25th Nov 2001, 04:19
tilii

Talking

Again, let's answer The Guvnor's earlier question "Anyone see any reason why [QAww's concept] shouldn't work elsewhere?"

1. We only have QAww’s word for this description of DHL/EAT and, by his own statement, he is not employed there and writes as a wannabe employee. What store should we place in his description, then?

2. “You get on in the company by doing what you are paid to do professionally and with no fuss. If you are good at your job you will be rewarded with promotion. If you are bad at your job you will get nowhere.” This is already broadly the case in most airlines.

3. “Should a new aircraft type appear, only the good, hard working and high socially intelligent people (which 70% of pilots are not) will be invited to join the fleet. Anybody else is left behind and will lose their jobs as the older aircraft are phased out.” Interesting. The words ‘good, hard working and high socially intelligent’ leave me a little puzzled for more reason than that they lack grammatical integrity. Such judgements are made subjectively. Who will decide? Oh, yes. Sorry, I forgot. It will be the management … er, minus anyone honest enough to ‘remove himself’ (all male management, then?) on account of his self-assessed prejudice. And what about Qaww’s remark about pilots? Seventy percent of us are NOT ‘high socially intelligent’? Well, thank God for that. It sounds quite painful, don’t you think?

4. “The management are interested in getting the job done quickly and efficiently … . Both pilots and management try very hard to make it all work.” Again, already the case elsewhere.

5. “Management do not turn into the usual Gods on high and remain very approachable and amenable. Pilots in return do not act like spoilt Hollywood actors or supermodels and actually enjoy doing a good job because they feel valued. Management explain to all new recruits that your progress is totally your responsibilty. Act like an idiot and you go nowhere. Act responsibly and you will rise up the ladder. The net upshot of all this is everybody gets on well (it is a big airline) and people realise (both management and pilots)that the companies survival and therefore their survival is directly on their shoulders.” What utterly naïve nonsense. QAww is entitled to express opinions and prejudices, but that does not mean we must all swallow them as the gospel. It is clear that QAww believes pilots act like spoilt Hollywood actors or supermodels (except, perhaps, those who are lucky enough to be employed by DHL/EAT). This places QAww in precisely the same category as The Guvnor and his entrepreneurial ilk. ‘Nuff said?

6. “The attitude of the pilots and mangement is the most refreshing I have ever seen.” Since Qaww does not work there, how does he/she say that he/she has ‘seen’ it at all?

Nah, methinks I'll give this one a wide berth. Sounds like a sycophant-infested cesspool to me. But you go on ahead Guv.