PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aircraft Hire Malta
View Single Post
Old 18th Jan 2007, 13:23
Dave Gittins

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Flying in Malta

Flew with Malta school of Flying in June 2006. I would warn that you - shall we just say - carefully check what you are told and check and double check what they tell you. I made arrangements before I went by EMAIL but whan I actually arrived there was a spot of evasion about availability of aeroplanes and suitable instructors for a check out.

I was told with all sorts of apologies that the 172 had just gone tech ... yet I subsequently found it had already been grounded for about 3 weeks awaiting a nosewheel strut bush - which is why, after pushing hard for days and times, I got the 152 (which had absolutely useless headsets ... take your own.)

Arrangements tended to be a bit "loose" with time somewhat "at large" when I was trying to fit my flying around a family holiday without spoiling my wife's fun. (she was not enamoured with the bus ride from Valetta to the airport - the bus beiong a little lacking in the cartspring area).

A word of warning, to get access airside at the GA/Eng side of the field at Luqa, if you do not have your name wth security 24 hours in advance (should be done by the flying school) and you do not have your passport with you for security to hold whilst you are airside, there is no way you will get in.

Having said that the flying was good, ATC was fine, a figure of 8 round Malta and Gozo takes about an hour, chock to chock, and there are some superb photos to be taken.

Enjoy