PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Special VFR
Thread: Special VFR
View Single Post
Old 18th Jan 2007, 11:02
IO540

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think one could get very involved with SVFR if one wanted to, and it's easy to write something over which somebody who works for ATC will go after me with all guns blazing...

The visibility requirement is one thing. Under VFR, a UK (or any JAA, AFAIK) plain PPL can fly "VFR" down to 3000m. A non-JAA ICAO (e.g. FAA) PPL can potentially fly "VFR" down to 1500m. (The ICAO definition of VMC is 1500m). An IR or IMCR holder can fly "VFR" down to the ICAO VMC figure of 1500m. Under SVFR, the plain PPL has to be 10000m+, unless he has an IR or IMCR in which case he has to be 3000m+. I don't know if the visibility is that observed by the pilot (in which case it is obviously unenforceable except in the most gross breach, like OVC002) or if they are as issued by ATC (in which case ATC should not issue an SVFR clearance if the met vis is below 3000m; ATC usually assume the pilot has the max privileges).

Another thing is that SVFR can also apply in Class D. For example I once flew into Isle of Man VFR and without me asking they issued me with an SVFR clearance. I don't know why; the vis was about 50km. Different airports have different conditions in their ATC manuals under which they can issue an SVFR clearance and I don't know if this is published openly anywhere.

But I don't think one needs to know this detail. In 6 years and 700+ hours I have never intentionally flown SVFR other than to the CI. An IMCR holder can fly IFR to any Class D airport and that cuts out all the nonsense anyway.

Dublinpilot - no PPL anywhere can fly sub VMC, under the ICAO definition of VMC of 1500m. I did say "VMC", not "VFR" I don't believe that CAA or JAA have redefined VMC; what I think they have done is they have defined VFR as 3000m or whatever. Very confusing.

Talkdownman - a JAA PPL with night qual. can fly at night with passengers OK, subject to the night passenger currency rule.