PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Interesting note about AA Airbus crash in NYC
Old 18th Jan 2007, 09:16
Rainboe
Warning Toxic!
Disgusted of Tunbridge

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
airsupport,
If the fin of a serviceable Airliner can be ripped off purely by Pilot cockpit inputs, then I for one don't think that Airliner should be flying.
Well the exact cause of several 737 rudder hardover crashes was never precisely pinned down, so why are 737s flying today? Because we know the problem, we've been trained how to handle it and it is a known risk. So are you saying that we don't know the fin problem? Since my basic training, I was told in no uncertain terms to leave the rudder alone- it's for engine failure, spin recovery, aerobatics. If I ever tried to cheat on approach and slip a little rudder in to line up, I got very short treatment. If I touched the rudder on approach on large jets, I had rude comments made. I think the whole of British aviation is aware you don't mess about with rudder. So how does the public feel watching an AA Captain at the accident hearing answering earnestly "no Sir, we didn't know you couldn't apply rudder like that!" There comes a time when trying to protect one man's reputation becomes counter-productive to safety. I suggest the lesson is drilled home without doubt- no professional pilot should be flying unaware that the fin is not designed for this, and certainly not stressed for it, on any other jet either.